How to use CamFi app for focus stacking

1. Set the camera to the proper focus mode. For Canon and Nikon, it needs to set the focus mode to AF. For Sony, it needs to be set the focus mode to Manual Focus.

2. Connect to the wifi signal of the CamFi device

3. Open the CamFi app, and tap the Focus stacking button on the toolbar.

4. Set the value for each field.

• a The Step Size means how much the distance of the lens should move for each shot. There are 3 different step sizes for both focus directions. 1x is the smallest step which can be used in macro photography. It acts like click the > button. 3x is the biggest step which acts like clicking the >>> button.

• b Steps of Each Shoot means how many steps the lens should move for each shot. For some lenses, the 1x may be too small to change. So the photographer can set the steps to 2 or 3 for each shot.

• c The Count means how many shots you'd like to trigger. To cover the full range from the nearest object to the farthest, you should do some tests to decide the count. If you use 3x step, it may only take a few steps to move from the nearest to the farthest. If you use 1x step, it may take take 100 steps to cover the range.
      微信图片_20191009181044.jpg

1. Tap the Start button to begin the shooting.

For Sony cameras, only a7 iii, a7r iii, a6400, a9 ii, a7 r iv can currently support focus stacking.

• @admin

I am having trouble with camfi plus and FS - Sony A7r4. I have set up everything as you show except when I take the group of photos they all have the same focus - in other words, there is no shift. What could I be doing wrong?
    TIA,
    Allan

• @admin I have a Sony A7R4 and my manual focus on stacking seems to work on 3x but not 2x or 1x. Suggestions or known issues? Thank you!

• @allan473 said in How to use CamFi app for focus stacking:

@admin
    I am having trouble with camfi plus and FS - Sony A7r4. I have set up everything as you show except when I take the group of photos they all have the same focus - in other words, there is no shift. What could I be doing wrong?
    TIA,
    Allan

Please turn off the (Display / Auto Review 2-> Auto Review) option on the camera.

• @3rcngj Can you see the scale move on the camera screen below when you control the manual focus on 1x, 2x, 3x ?

• @rainchan I can on 3x but not 1x or 2x. I should have mentioned I am using an IPAD too. Thank you.

• This post is deleted!

• I recently purchased the CamFi CF102 to be used on my Nikon D300s. i have noticed that the "Stacking" button is disabled. Doing some research, it appears that I should be able to do focus stacking with this CamFi and my camera, but haven't found what I'm doing wrong. Can someone tell me how to enable focus stacking on this combination?

CamFi Limited. 2015-2019